Unless you have been living under a rock these past few months you have undoubtedly been berated by nonstop rumors and speculation about Nintendo’s new console code-named the NX. What could this device Nintendo has been cooking up be? What could NX stand for? What would become of the Wii U? Ok that last one was an easy one. The Wii U, despite my unending love and appreciation for the console sold terribly and needed to be replaced badly by something consumers can understand. So enter the many many many months of guessing. Thankfully Nintendo has decided to finally show off their new concept in this preview.
Now I am completely excited for this new console…though I’m not too crazy about the name. Switch? I dunno it just doesn’t scream hype to me. Then again neither did Wii or Wii U or hell even the Vita. Whatever in time I’m sure I’ll be fine with it. What you saw here was that it is a sort of hybrid console. Essentially it’s a home console you can take on the go. Pretty exciting stuff. Especially since Nintendo is not actually splitting their resources between a separate home console and portable. They have bridged the two together in part thanks to how popular smart devices have become. Not to mention the removable controller features. I hope this doesn’t negatively effect the rumble capability of the Switch. I really value a good rumble. Also I hope that replacement controller parts won’t be too expensive. But all that will be released with time so for now I’m really excited for Nintendo. I can’t wait for the Switch to be released. Hmm actually it doesn’t sound so bad now. The Switch. Ok I can see what you were going for Nintendo.
Now with all that outta the way there are some things that I hope Nintendo will do with this machine. In fact I have a list so here are my 5 wishes for the Switch.
1) A Virtual Console that is updated much more frequently with new games from various publishers/developers and that uses our Nintendo Accounts so we won’t have to buy the same games over and over and over again. Plus it helps to always have something to play on the console.
2) A really solid price. To be honest I don’t think the Switch should cost more than $250. This is mostly because due to the portable nature of the Switch it can be assumed that it is not going to be a graphical powerhouse like the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Both of which start at around $299 (with the “fat” Xbox One gong for less I imagine). So Nintendo has to keep in mind the expectations that people have now when it comes to power. $300 will get a person a PlayStation 4 with the best graphics but will they pay the same, or perhaps more, for essentially a weaker powered concept? Keep in mind that the Wii was only $249.99 when it launched as well.
3) Backwards Compatibility. It’s really difficult to see how it can work with the Switch but I’m gonna assume that it will not be backwards compatible with the Wii U. At least not physically. As in if you bought a digital title and its linked to your Nintendo Account (which I really really hope keeps these things in mind!) you can play it on the Switch. Maybe the Switch can connect with the Wii U gamepad? I’m not sure. It probably won’t. However due the use of cartridges for the Switch I wonder if it can play 3DS or DS games through it’s cartridge slot. Again I’m not too sure but it would be cool. Or they could release an add on for such features similar to what they did in the 90’s with the Super Game Boy for the Super Nintendo. This will also help in adding value and content to the Switch as well.
4) Constant content. What I mean by this is a reason to turn on the console. Switch is not just a name or an adjective describing the console. It’s also an action. Now in the preview trailer it was pretty clear that “switch” meant the ability to switch between displays to play your home console games on the go. But I wanna see switch evolve further. I want this console to enable people to truly switch to a Nintendo product when they go out. For this to happen Nintendo needs app support beyond what is obvious and expected. Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video are nice but it would be pretty cool to see Nintendo support things like Spotify, Social media apps, their own mobile games and by extension (and I can’t believe I’m saying this) other mobile games. This would make it so that while the average Switch user want’s to play their Nintendo games on the go they also would not have to lug around other devices beyond their phone. Although if they did maybe they would realize the value in having real games, as opposed to just mobile games, on the go? Plus it would be helpful in keeping your phone battery fairly charged. Though the Switch’s would probably drain fairly fast. Hmm I’m assuming this battery life will be at least 5 hours. It would be great if it were 8 or at least if Nintendo allowed us to buy stronger batteries in the future. Is that a separate wish though? I dunno Let’s just make the battery life wish a branch off the content one. They go hand in hand after all….right?
5) Different colors. Now I know this is probably the most superfluous wish here but I’m getting tired of every new piece of tech being black. Hell white somehow seems to be a more refreshing color but even that is getting boring now. I always appreciated how the Gamecube had different colors and let’s not forget that Nintendo’s portables always eventually got new colors as well so maybe just maybe the Switch can launch with a red or blue or hell green. I dunno don’t just go with black. Though I will admit this isn’t exactly a deal breaker so let’s just move on.
So that’s about it. Are you excited for the Switch? I am. Though truthfully I just wanna play Zelda. Breath of the Wild can’t come out soon enough!